Pimp My Grocery List: Naaz



I'm so excited to pimp my very first grocery list! 

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you can get the lowdown here. Basically, I am 'renovating' readers' grocery lists, suggesting healthier options for what they put in their carts every week. I'm not trying to make everything spic and span, now - just trying to make it a little bit healthier while keeping the convenience and tastiness of the original product. If you want your very own grocery list pimped, email me at info[at]wholesomehedonist[dot]com!


Naaz, a friend and fellow member of my book club, came to me with her list. I've got to admit, at first I was intimidated by how clean it was! Does this girl need any help at all?!?

See her list - any my suggestions - after the jump...





Typical list:
eggs (12 omega 3)
milk (skim)
juice (simply orange or simply apple)
bread (rye, pumpernickle or marble rye)
cheese (shredded monterey jack or part skim mozzarella)
2 salmon
2 tilapia
1 pk ground turkey
baba ghanouj
hummus
pita bread (whole wheat)
2 avocados
Weight Watchers whole wheat tortillas
mild Tostitos salsa
cilantro
baby spinach
cremini mushrooms
3 portobello mushrooms
small veggies+dip (snack size)
2 chinese eggplant
2 zuchhini
spaghetti squash
pasta sauce
3 nectarines
1 pepper (red or yellow)
strawberry greek yogurt (pc fat free)
1 frozen President's Choice Blue Menu Butter Chicken 
1 frozen pizza (spinach or mushroom or mozza)
2 Ritter chocolate bars

But then I saw a few things that could maybe use an upgrade (don't worry, I'm not touching the Ritter bars - every girl needs her indulgences.)

First up: Replace Weight Watchers Whole Wheat Tortillas with Corn Tortillas

These tortillas are pretty good - they have fibre, not too much salt or sugar and they're relatively low in fat. But the ingredient line is a bit long with a few unrecognizable suspects in there. So, once in a while, you might consider switching to corn tortillas.  Often found in the refrigerated or freezer aisle, these have a shorter ingredient list (mostly just water and corn) with about the same nutritional makeup. As a bonus,  they taste absolutely delicious and authentically Mexican. They are a bit smaller, but they're the perfect size for tacos. Look for the ones from the small brands like La Tapatia and make sure you read the ingredient list: I saw a corn tortilla imposter from a bigger brand the other day that had white flour as the second ingredient.

Next: Replace PC Fat Free Strawberry Greek Yogurt with PC Fat Free Honey Greek Yogurt
Ok, so you know what I think of flavoured yogurt: I always advise choosing the unflavoured option and then adding some toppings yourself to keep it healthy and delicious. But I know that that's not practical for everyone, especially if you are taking it to work. But this yogurt is a prime example of why flavoured yogurts are often not a good option - the second ingredient is sugar (disguised under the gourmet-sounding 'fruit preparation'), with strawberries coming in after that. In fact, it has more than 4 teaspoons of sugar in a serving - less than 2/3 of a cup! 

If you are going to go with a flavoured yogurt, I suggest PC Fat Free Honey Greek Yogurt. It only has 3 ingredients: Skim milk, honey and bacterial culture. Also, it has a little over 2 teaspoons of sugar in a bigger serving (3/4 cup.) You're not getting much strawberry goodness from the other option, so this one's a no-brainer.


Finally: Replace PC Blue Menu Butter Chicken with PC Blue Menu Spicy Basmati Rice with Edamame Sides

PC Blue Menu Spicy Basmati Rice with Edamame


You knew I was going to pick this one, didn't you? I'm not opposed to frozen entrees - somethimes they are the best option in a pinch. The key is to watch out for the fake ingredients and the sodium. The Butter Chicken is quite high in sodium (680 mg, or almost a third of your daily allowance.) It doesn't have many other nutrients to speak of, but it's got a long list of unpronounceable ingredients.

Try switching it out for PC Blue Menu Spicy Basmati Rice with Edamame Sides. The same serving size has a little less sodium (600 mg) but way more fibre (6 g), so it will keep you fuller longer. Also, the ingredient list is surprisingly clean for a frozen product. To bulk it up and add protein, try mixing in a can of light tuna or some canned black beans.

So there are my switches! Naaz, how did I do? Any other suggestions you guys have for her?

photo credit: Krissy.Venosdale via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment