Rosemary Marmalade Chicken



I am always hesitant to make chicken recipes because although that's what the majority of the population eats most weeknights, I find it incredibly bland and boring. I am too lazy and last-minute to ever marinate the chicken, and whatever sauces or rubs I brush on top of it never seem to penetrate into the meat, leaving it tasting bland and rubbery. Usually A. will chew on it thoughtfully, while Baby M, ever the diplomat, will spit it out onto his high chair tray.

But when I saw this recipe, I knew my chicken luck was about to change. Marmalade + balsamic vinegar + Dijon mustard? Sounds like a unique, flavourful combination. And in terms of flavour, it's a triple threat - brushed on, then basted, then reduced to a sauce. With high hopes, I decided to give it a try.

Let me just say, people, that it didn't disappoint. the chicken was tender and juicy and flavourful. The sauce was thick and tangy and added flavour to the the quick grains I boiled up alongside the chicken. The onions, which I normally hate, were crunchy and savoury-sweet, filling out the sauce nicely. Overall, it's a great, easy entertaining recipe that is unique enough to stand out from the usual chicken fare. Even the diplomat didn't spit it out.

Slightly adapted from the amazing Lucy Waverman's recipe in Food & Drink


Rosemary Marmalade Chicken 



Serves 4

1/2 cup 3-Fruit or Seville Orange Marmalade
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
3 tbsp vegetable oil
4 bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
Salt & pepper
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 cups thinly sliced onions
1 cup chicken stock


1 Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).

2 Combine marmalade, balsamic vinegar, mustard and rosemary. Divide in half. Whisk 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil, reserving remainder, into half of mixture. Brush marmalade mixture with oil on to the chicken breasts. Season breasts with salt and pepper.

3 Heat remaining 2 tbsp (25 mL) oil and butter in a large ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat. Add onions to pan and sauté, stirring for 1 minute or until just beginning to soften. Add stock and remaining marmalade-mustard mixture. Bring to boil. Place chicken breasts skin-side up over onions.

4 Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or until juices run clear, basting chicken with sauce occasionally.

5 Remove breasts and bring sauce to boil. Boil until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Return chicken to reheat and serve with sauce.

Note: I kept Lucy Waverman's recipe pretty much as-is because it was so delicious. The only change I made was to double the amount of sauce because I really enjoy my sauce. If it's too much for you, though, you can always store or freeze the rest to use on grains, fish, or as a bang-up sandwich spread (imagine it with chicken salad!)

No comments:

Post a Comment