Weekly Specials


Welcome to my weekly picks from the great big internets:


Recipes:


It can perhaps be said that I am a tad overenthusiastic at times. This extends often to my cooking, so that when I make a beet recipe, say, I make a  whole lot of that beet recipe, until I have stacks and stacks of ruby red Ziploc bags in my freezer. So I really didn't really want a beet to darken my path for a very, very long time. Until I saw this genius recipe from Pink Kitchen, that is. Beets with pear and cardamom and ginger? Yes please! I can't wait to give this a go.

I have a deep and abiding love for anything cakey, crumbly and full of carbs. Cakes, loaves, muffins, cookies, you name it. As I've mentioned here before, I have tried to slim down some of my favourite baked goods, but the results have not been pretty. So I am super excited to try Two Peas and Their Pod's recipe for Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Cookies, which contain zucchini and greek yogurt. Could these possibly be my dessert salvation? My fingers are crossed...


Resources:


How do probiotics really work? The jury's still out on this one. Which means that all those products that you see with probiotics on the label - from bread to yogurt to juice - may or may not do anything for your digestive system. My advice? Ignore the claims (as always) and choose the products based on the list of ingredients and nutritional panel instead. (via NPR)

This is a concise primer on antibiotics in farm animals: why they are used, why it's a problem and what the consequences are to us. I know it's hard - and expensive - to switch to organic (believe me, I've picked up grocery store meat in a pinch too) but this article makes me more committed than ever to switch to organic and other protein sources.(via NRDC)

Are superfoods worth the super price tag? Not according to the Dietitians of Canada. Bust that myth and 38 more on their website (It's woefully unreadable, but the info is good.) 


Pin of the week:

I'm all about inspirational quotes and sayings. This one really spoke to me this week. 


Tweet of the Week:

My thrown together lunch was inspired by all the peaches in my parents' backyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment